Convert FAT32 to NTFS
Windows XP can have 2 types of file systems-
You may keep any of the above mentioned file systems but, I recommend you to use NTFS file system because I have tried both files systems & concluded that NTFS has many advantages over FAT32 file system. That is why I created the article to convert FAT32 to NTFS file system, so that you can update your file system.
It would be worthless to convert NTFS to FAT32 file system. NTFS is a newer and better file system than FAT32.
Here are some of the advantages of NTFS file system over FAT32 files system:
How to do it
- NTFS file system is much faster than FAT32.
- NTFS drives can be compressed to save disk space.
- NTFS drives have stronger security system than FAT32.
- Administrator password on a FAT32 drive can easily be hacked, whereas doing so in an NTFS drive is difficult. So, I recommend you to use NTFS file system rather than FAT32 files system as it is the latest, more secured, fast, and reliable file system than the previous FAT32 file system.
- Click start
- Click Run
- Type "cmd" (without quotes) in the run dialog box & click OK
- Now you should see the command prompt window. In the command prompt window, type "convert [driveletter]: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes). Some examples to help you:
- convert c:/FS:NTFS- This will convert file system of C: drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
- convert d:/FS:NTFS- This will convert d: drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
Here is a screenshot illustrating conversion of FAT32 to NTFS: