You can check and repair disk errors using the inbuilt feature of windows XP called error checking utility. Error checking utility is a perfect utility to check and even remove errors from your hard drive.
This utility checks for any errors or bad sectors and then repairs it (if any error is found). This utility has 5 phases or you can say it has 5 steps. It performs all the 5 steps one after the other on one go.
When the checking is complete, you can select to repair if any errors are found. Your disk then becomes error free. This helps in better data consistency, hence speeds up your computer.
How to do it
1. Close all open files and folders.
2. Now go to My Computer.
3. In the My Computer window, right click the drive you want to search for and repair errors.
4. Now click properties.
5. In the properties dialog box click the Tools tab.
6. Now click the check now button next to the error checking section.
7. In the check disk dialog box select scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click start.
8. If bad sectors are found choose to fix them.
After completing this step your disks would be error free hence your computer will become more fast & reliable.